Tutorial – Using Novint Falcon with Matlab
- Installing Falcon Drivers and Haptik Library
- Configuring Haptik Library to use Falcon
- Running Example programs with Haptik Library
- September 2012: Newer versions of Haptik Library released (1.2RC). DLLs from previous versions (1.1RC) now deprecated. See this comment.
- October 2010: Incompatibility with Version 4.x driver.
- November 2009: First Release.
NOTE: This tutorial has been tested with Haptik Library 1.1RC in 2009. More recent version of the library (1.2, released Feb 2012) are available now. This tutorial should be used as a guideline and is neither tested nor guaranteed to work with the latest version.
Installing Falcon Drivers and Haptik Library
- Download the Haptik Library 1.1RC and Falcon Plugin from the Haptik Library website:
- Haptik Library is compatible with 3.1.4 version and above (Update: It doesn’t seem to work with Version 4.x) of Novint Falcon Driver. Download & Install it.
Configuring Haptik Library to use Falcon
- Once done with the installation of the above, try runing sample programs provided with Haptik Libary on Matlab.
C:\Program Files\Siena Robotics and Systems Lab\Haptik Library\Matlab
- You will Haptik Library throwing an error: Haptik.Config.txt unavailable.
- Copy Haptik.Falcon.dll to
C:\Program Files\Siena Robotics and Systems Lab\Haptik Library\RSLib\Bin
- Update the config file:
C:\Program Files\Siena Robotics and Systems Lab\Haptik Library\Matlab\Haptik.Config.txtChange the line:
HaptikLibrary.plugin4_0 = Haptik.Spectre.dll to
HaptikLibrary.plugin4_0 = Haptik.Falcon.dll
- Relocate(or copy) the config file the application working directory.
Application working directory is given by:
Running Example programs with Haptik Library
- Viewing Available Haptik Devices:
 ‘Falcon ‘ ‘Falcon’ ‘Novint’
>>Success! Matlab and Falcon can now talk!
- Run the horizontal_plane.m and play with it. You should be able to “feel” a horizontal plane.
This completes the tutorial! You might want to explore horizontal_plane.m for better understanding of things. If you intend to use Matlab / Haptik for programming, I recommend make a vertical_plane.m to get started.
Hope this helps you get started!