Applications In BioMedical Engineering
A System’s Perspective: Computer Science, Embedded and Control Systems
Control Systems and Theory:
- Understanding and thus modeling of human physiology and pathology.
- Leading towards applications like controlled medication like drug delivery.
- Factors like rate and dosage could be controlled.
Computer Science and Embedded Systems:
Integration of computer science with embedded systems has lead to many applications within medicince and healthcare.
- Machines like X Rays, CT Scan, MRI help diagnose a disease/condition rapidly.
- While others like defibrilators, pacemakers, dialators and cathetors help keep a patient under check and improve the response time of a doctor.
- Hapitics enabled Surgical Simulators are a boon for providing high risk Medical Operations and Training today.
- Visualization Systems that enable 3D Reconstruction of human body from CT Scan, X-Rays, MRI, etc, powered by computer graphics and imaging technology has greatly enhanced understanding & analysis of medical students and doctors alike.
- Applications like Telemedicine and Telesurgery rely on backbone of Internet and Communications Infrastructure.
- I envision integration of mobile and healthcare devices in future thus enabling the common man to keep himself under check while on the move.
10th January 2010
Assignment for BM600: Introduction to BioMedical Engineering